Thursday Thoughts: Jesus "Riding Shotgun"

 


A couple of weeks ago, we had our first activity back together as women in my local church congregation since the pandemic started. I took my small Christus statue with me to use for decor, and forgot to take it out of my van when I returned home. The next morning as I was driving away to run errands, I saw the statue still in my passenger’s seat. I laughed to myself and thought, “Hey, I’ve got Jesus riding shotgun today. That’s kind of cool!” Then I felt a warm feeling in my heart, and saw the symbolism in the moment.

During Jesus’s mortal ministry He said, “If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.” (As recorded by the apostle John in the New Testament, John 12:26) In a sense, we can always have Jesus “riding shotgun” in our hearts. As we serve Him, keep the commandments, and love Him, we can have His influence and comfort in our lives, and His help through the difficult times. And in this time of confusion and heartache, who better to have by our side than the Prince of Peace himself?
- Bridget




Comments

Popular Posts