Thrifted Desk Makeover

Funny story: this post has sat in my drafts for over two years now...how embarrassing. What is good though, is that this little desk is still being loved well and used hard. 

I found this cute little desk a few years ago while I was checking out our Habitat for Humanity thrift store. It was positioned between two larger pieces of furniture, and I almost walked right past it. Fortunately, it caught my eye, and I knew it would be perfect for my daughter who was in kindergarten at the time. 

I somehow miraculously squeezed it into the backseat of my four-door car upside down, and drove it home. 


It had several deep scratches on the top, but the sander took care of it. 



It may be a small desk, but it sure took a lot of time to sand it all down and prepare it for the paint. My arms were reverberating for several minutes after finally finishing.


The bright white paint really gave it a new lease on life! I don't remember which shade of white I used, but it was specifically for furniture and cabinets, and I bought it from Home Depot. 

Also, I was able to put those U-haul blankets to use that we lost during a move, and later found stored in the washing machine and dryer after getting charged. 

They might not be soft and snuggly, but they work well as drop cloths.


I loved the look of the hardware, so I left it as it was and just cleaned the dirt off before reattaching.


It is just the right size, and looks nice against the pink wall. This desk has changed a bit through the years, and it now has drawers full of paper, crayons, colored pencils, and all manner of craft supplies. 


It even has a few marks from stray writing utensils, but it has been well-loved by its owner.

Do you enjoy refurbishing furniture? 

I love the end result, but it usually takes me a long time to take the first step to actually do it. In fact, there is a coffee table in my family room that I bought with the intention to paint, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Who knows, maybe someday I will make it will happen. But I doubt it will be this week...or next...😜

Comments

Popular Posts