Baby Tag Toy

Recently I was invited to a baby shower for a sweet baby boy, and I wanted to make a fun handmade gift for him. After much deliberation, I chose to make a tag toy. I have made several of these little toys in the past, and they are always exciting for tiny hands and mouths to explore. Each time the toy turns out differently.  I never use a specific pattern, and I always love the end result. I think the most important part of the creation is finding lots of different ribbon with different textures, colors, and designs. This makes it more exciting for the little one receiving the gift. Fortunately I am a fabric and ribbon hoarder, so I had a large selection to choose from for this project. :)



Safety is always a concern for infants, and it is very important to make sure the ribbons are properly secured. If they are not, they can break loose and become a choking hazard. I always sew the ribbons to the fabric three times, with one zig-zag stitch and two straight stitches. 




Admiring the finished product is always fun! For this little gift I chose a cute robot fabric and black and white polka-dot fabric. A dear friend gave both to me when she was sorting through her fabric stash a couple of years ago. :) One side is fun and colorful, while the other has a sharp contrast in color. What baby boy wouldn't love a toy like this?





Even my toddler loved it, and tried to snatch it every time he was close enough! 




After giving it a wash (to remove any dust and stabilizers on the fabric and ribbons, and to make it soft and lovable)  and ironing it, you are ready to go! 





I love how this project turned out. I think it is adorable, and sure to provide entertainment for the precious baby for whom it was made. I also like how all the materials for its construction came from my sewing closet. That saved me from taking a trip to the fabric store...and buying more fabric than I really needed! 

How about you? What do you like to make for expectant mothers? Do you have favorite patterns? Let me know in the comments, I am always looking for new gift projects and patterns to use!

-Bridget :)

Comments

Popular Posts